Serve Rhode Island
Serve Rhode Island transforms the lives of Rhode Islanders by increasing the number of individuals engaged in volunteer and service activities.
We serve the state by meeting pressing needs in education, housing, and other social service by directing AmeriCorps resources and local volunteers through evidence-based programs to make measurable improvement in the lives of children and families.
AmeriCorps and volunteer programs do more than move communities forward; they serve their members by creating jobs and providing pathways to opportunity for people entering the workforce. AmeriCorps places hundreds of adults each year into intensive service positions where they learn valuable work skills, earn money for education, and develop a life-long commitment to active citizenship for Rhode Island.
Serve Rhode Island, established in 1994 as Rhode Island's State Commission for National and Community Service, is responsible for:
- Administering the annual AmeriCorps State grant process;
- Developing new AmeriCorps programs in Rhode Island;
- Providing training and technical assistance to AmeriCorps State programs and members;
- Monitoring the AmeriCorps State grant portfolio for Rhode Island;
- Convening AmeriCorps members for statewide events and national days of service; and
- Recognizing and promoting community volunteers.